Gardening for Wildlife and Wildlife in the Garden

Mountain Goat

Re: Gardening for Wildlife and Wildlife in the Garden

Post by Mountain Goat »

Oh that's lovely. Both the limping pigeons and the baby birds.

I mentioned this on FB but I have a new toad visitor who made correct use of my Amphibian Superhighway extension (original AS goes from our pond to the pond in the garden behind) which leads to the logpile, where the insects live, and the rhubarb patch, which provides good cover for a creature prone to drying out, via a sheltered hopway that they can traverse without being easily spotted by Bruce. I was thrilled to see him climb out the pond and round the back and emerge correctly by the logs and stay there for twenty minutes, darting his tongue in and out, while Bruce ambled about the garden oblivious and even had a good sniff around the pond. It was so nice to see it actually work as intended without anything going horribly wrong. :)) I saw him again today, sitting on the trowel I needed. :love2:

I also saw two baby magpies have a flying practice from one roof to another roof, across my street, back and forth, as I deadheaded my wallflowers.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents

Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I love the tame wildlife you get, Goat.

Baby birds left right and centre here too. LTTs :love:

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

You’ve got baby LTTs? Well jel!

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I am also exceedingly jealous of baby LTTs. :love2: We now seem to have a visiting juvenile Greater Spotted Woodpecker, which is JOYOUS. And this morning I am being serenaded by a handful of juvenile great tits, who are waiting for their parent to pick bits of fat ball off to feed to them. :love2:
We're all snowflakes now.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I have a Love Garden Birds order due today that contains a squirrel feeder! :lol:

I have now seen a juvenile goldfinch to add to the collection and the young robin is getting his red breast.

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Oooh, which one did you get?If it's one of those lidded ones be prepared to be startled by thunks coming from the garden. Up, down, up, down. They can't close a feeder lid quietly. :))
Last edited by Bat Macdui on Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Yes, it’s a lidded one. :))

Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

I'm HUGELY jealous of a juvenile great spotted woodpecker. The young LTTs are physically almost indistinguishable from the adults but utterly hopeless at judging their own weight versus, say, a blade of grass. There is a lot of undignified flolloping about as they all descend en masse.

My juvenile blue tits are getting their adult feathers, so they look a bit messy these days and are bathing a lot more.

I really should get a squirrel feeder. I chased one off the nyger feeder this morning. :mad:

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

Squirrel feeder reduce squirrels breaking other feeders by between 30-50%. :)) That is SCIENCE FACT.

My GSW was back again this morning. :love2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Fantastic.

I can NEVER get pictures of them on the few occasions they visit. They are so sensitive to the tiniest movement, even from indoors.

Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

R got a slightly better one. :)) We also seem to have a wren in the magnolia now. :love2: I am DELIGHTED.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Fantastic photo! I'm glad you have a tiny shouter now too.

Juvenile goldfinches all over the place now. Lots of angry buzzing and pushing and shoving on the nyjer feeder.

Duophonic

Post by Duophonic »

Oh wonderful! That's a great photo.

My nyjer feeder has been sorely neglected since I put it out but now, I have a pair of goldfinch that use it hopefully on a regular basis but I've only seen them twice.

Tons of juvenile sparrows all fighting on the feeders and eating me out of house and home. :)) Oh! and a juvenile collared dove feeding from the scraps on the patio.
BRING ON THE TRUMPETS!

Princess Clacky Thing