Veneers

Tips & tricks to make your bumhat beautiful.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Re: Veneers

Post by baargain »

Kenickie wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:24 am
Like I said, I don't know that much about BDD but isn't it not so much that it's always entirely imaginary but more that it's a disproportionate reaction?
Yep, that's absolutely it. All of the patients I've seen have been fixed on an ordinary "flaw" but see it as disproportionately ugly/deformed/noticeable. Its almost never been about purely imaginary defects/flaws. After all, we are all flawed or a bit wonky in our appearance!

Your therapists advice sounds v sensible.

(also, when you point out small/normal flaws to people, they often say "Oh yeah, I see what you mean". But that's because they've never noticed it before and you have just made them inspect that area of your face in detail. If you stare at yourself/others close enough, for long enough, you will find wonkiness)

Luce

Post by Luce »

Also; if/when people point stuff out like that to me, I always agree just to be polite ish when, really, I can't see what they're talking about.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I guess so, like when you see someone has a spot but only because they've gone: "LOOK! LOOK AT MY SPOT!"

I am feeling a bit guilty about having my mole removed. I know I've had it done for totally the wrong reasons and it's not really a big deal, but it has made me feel a bit odd. I've never had proper physical surgery for a non-medical reason before. I was thinking "What else can I get done? What else?"
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored

Luce

Post by Luce »

I think getting a mole removed would count as reasonably proportionate; on its own. But its almost entirely risk-free, quick, easy etc. And it isn't just one part of a list of things that I'll fix whatever it takes. I think that might be the difference. Certainly very different to jaw surgery or destroying your teeth, they seem more disproportionate.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Even I think the amount of work involved is disproportionate and I got the feeling the orthodontist agreed although she wouldn't try to convince me either way.

I need to accept that things are not perfect. The mole being removed reminded me of that Nathaniel Hawthorne story, The Birthmark, and how by trying to improve myself I can actually wind up rubbing myself out. I will get my teeth whitened but that's it.

I'm actually going to buy a handbag with the first payment I would have put down on my teeth. I think my grandparents would approve of that a lot more.

A lot of the posts on here have resonated particularly about not being perfect. So, thank you all for your replies. They have helped enormously.

Luce

Post by Luce »

You're doing brilliantly, Lily, I wish I had the same bravery to actually re-look at my habits/behaviour sometimes. The easiest thing in the world is to just go along with them when they make you feel good in the short term!

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Thank you! I don't think it's brave so much as figuring out what does and doesn't make you happy, and being able to spot patterns.

Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

This is the last thing on anyone's mind now, but I've been watching back a few videos of me speaking and I can't see anything wrong with my teeth at all. So, no veneers, no braces - I'll get them whitened, but that's it.

Weird how these things work out.

Thank you all for your patience with me.

smalex

Post by smalex »

Hurrah! You are beautiful Lily Louise Turtle, I'm glad you're feeling better about your teeth.

Disco

Post by Disco »

Brilliant! You have perfectly lovely natural teeth.

Princess Morripov

Post by Princess Morripov »

Good lass. 😘

Annabella

Post by Annabella »

Well done Lily

Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Hurrah :bel:.

Hazey_Jane

Post by Hazey_Jane »

Thank you for the update Lils. I’m glad you can see what we do
As he told her that he loved her she gazed into his eyes, wondering, as she noted the infestation of eyelash mites, the tiny deodicids burrowing into his follicles to eat the greasy sebum therein, each female laying up to 25 eggs in a single follicle, causing inflammation, whether the eyes are truly the windows of the soul; and, if so, his soul needed regrouting.

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Really pleased to read this.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.

Luce

Post by Luce »

Oh! Now, I'm not sure how I missed this but this is wonderful news!

Shoe

Post by Shoe »

I'm really pleased to read this, Lily. :hug: