Book Notes

Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Re: Book Notes

Post by Kenickie »

I've just put Malibu Rising on order at the library.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’ve read Knife Edge by Simon Mayo this afternoon. It was a decent thriller, and fast paced.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

I utterly loved Malibu Rising!
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Me too, and you lovely lot have made me realise that while I *thought* I’d read Seven Husbands, I hadn’t, so I’ve just bought it! I have read anything for a while, so it’s nice to have a new book.

I’ve also pre-ordered Carrie Soto Is Back for 30th August.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I also enjoyed Malibu Rising. Thought it was a really well told story.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m on a book roll now and I’ve just finished The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell. I really enjoyed it.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I really liked that, Pip. I am reading Light Perpetual by Francis Spufford, its about 5 children killed in a bombing, during the Blitz, but it imagines how their lives would have turned out if they'd lived. It took me a bit to get into but now I really like it.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I really wanted to read that, Sal, but my library didn't have it when I looked before. I'm glad you mentioned it, as I've just looked again, and they have it in stock so I'm going to pop down tomorrow and pick it up.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

This is probably only relevant to London turtles (and probably SE London turtles as it's not the most convenient to get to), but Clare Chambers is talking about Small Pleasures at the Dulwich Festival in May https://dulwichfestival.co.uk/event/cla ... pleasures/
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I will have to add Malibu rising to my list as I loved The Seven Husbands.

I have just finished the Never Man by Jeffrey Deaver. I wouldn't say it was riveting but it rolled along nicely in a thrillerly way. I am now reading Moving by Jenny Eclair. One of those tales of back stories of the life of the elderly woman selling a family home.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Flora Poste wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:14 pm I really wanted to read that, Sal, but my library didn't have it when I looked before. I'm glad you mentioned it, as I've just looked again, and they have it in stock so I'm going to pop down tomorrow and pick it up.
Did you get it, Flo? I finished it last night and I really liked it. I'm not sure what to read next.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Yes, I did Sal. It's on my pile as I've got something to read for book club next, then I'll read it.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

I've just finished A Line to Kill by Anthony Horowitz - which I picked up on a whim from the library as I'd enjoyed his other murder mysteries. I liked this one as well - nice and easy to read, satisfying and apparently the third of a series of self contained ones with the author as one of the main characters and I'm going to go back and read the first two.
Edith Bacon

Post by Edith Bacon »

Annabella wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:48 am I am now reading Moving by Jenny Eclair. One of those tales of back stories of the life of the elderly woman selling a family home.
I like the sound of this so I checked it out and it is currently 99p on Kindle. Naturally I got it :))
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I have finished it now Edith and I did enjoy the story and I do think Jenny is a good storyteller of a particular fashion. I bought my Mum the 2nd Thursday Murder Club for Christmas and as she has finished it she has given it back to me and I am half way though. Agree with most here better than the first one.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I enjoyed Malibu Rising so I've got some of her others on order now.

I just read the new Mhairi MacFarlane which I loved.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I finished the Man Who Died Twice - it was ok but I think it tried to be a bit cleverer than it was while also being a bit twee. I have started The Girls Are All So Nice Here.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Flora Poste wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:01 pm I've just finished A Line to Kill by Anthony Horowitz - which I picked up on a whim from the library as I'd enjoyed his other murder mysteries. I liked this one as well - nice and easy to read, satisfying and apparently the third of a series of self contained ones with the author as one of the main characters and I'm going to go back and read the first two.
That's next in my to read pile. I'm still on Still Life and finding it slow going.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

I'm plowing through The Goldfinch for book club. I'm a bit sick of it. It goes on forever.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Turtle Bean wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 8:34 am I'm plowing through The Goldfinch for book club. I'm a bit sick of it. It goes on forever.
It does go on forever. And a little bit more.