Secondary Considerations

emma_p

Re: Secondary Considerations

Post by emma_p »

Oh that is tricky. I wouldn’t want my daughter to feel uncomfortable in her own home. If the guests make her feel uncomfortable I would reconsider the open door policy.
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

She hadn’t even noticed which is why I don’t want to tell her that I noticed. It might have been a one off.
emma_p

Post by emma_p »

If it made you feel uncomfortable then it’s also time to re-evaluate.
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Kleio wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:46 pm I wouldn’t describe talking as defiant really.
Cerise wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:34 pm
Difficult one with your house, Kleio. I suppose I wouldn’t expect anyone to strip to their underwear if we had guests though.
It’s not underwear. It’s a crop top but the sort you’d wear to do sport in so pretty full coverage.
Ah I see.
Texaco Shirley

Post by Texaco Shirley »

I’m having to think about sixth form applications. How did that happen?? Secondary application only feels like yesterday.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I’ve just submitted S’s primary to secondary transfer request.

They all blossom at secondary, don’t they? :bob:
Little My

Post by Little My »

Oh STOP! I can't imagine B going to secondary yet. He still has two years to wait.

They do start growing up very quickly at this age, I've found.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I did Chunk’s in October, they have to be in by 31/10 here the year before they start. He’s ready and not ready; he still doesn’t have an official pen licence!

Of course, S is a school year below Chunk, isn’t he? How does it work in Scotland?
Glint

Post by Glint »

The transfer has to be in on Sunday, and we were emailed about it today, so I just did it there and then before forgetting about it :))

I don’t think we have pen licences here, S is still a pencil boy.

This is where we get all confused again, is Chunk moving up after the summer holidays like S?

Here, we transfer to our catchment secondary based on address, if you want to go to a different school then you need to put in a placement request or register that you are going to a school out-with the council control. It’s a very simple process for us, and transition will start at some point in the new year.

LM, so B will be 13 when he starts secondary?
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It’s a bit mental in England and is basically a lottery, with catchment being only a small part of the factors to get you into a school. Chunk will start in Sept ‘23. The school years here are based on age at 31st August, I think Scotland is February, isn’t it?
Glint

Post by Glint »

Yes, our intake is 1st March - 28/29th February, however we can fairly easily defer January and February borns into the next year.

I’m not sure what the process is like in higher density areas like Glasgow, but our council has 8 secondary schools, with 1 of them being denominational.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Glint wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:49 pm Yes, our intake is 1st March - 28/29th February, however we can fairly easily defer January and February borns into the next year.

I’m not sure what the process is like in higher density areas like Glasgow, but our council has 8 secondary schools, with 1 of them being denominational.
It's pretty much the same, although there's probably more placing requests (to go outwith authority) in Glasgow because there are parts of the city that are pretty close to other councils. Where I live (in Glasgow City Council) kids can go to the local ND school (10 minute walk) or the nearest RC school (30 minute walk/10 minute bus ride ). They could also put in a request to go to school in the next council area, which is probably about the same distance as the RC school. There's not much between those 3 schools really but in other parts of Glasgow, the school just across the border could be seen as much "better" than your local school as its in a wealthier area so people will make placing requests.
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Little My

Post by Little My »

It's nice that you will know exactly where he is going, and no waiting to see what happens. It's a very similar system here. The weird difference is that you have to register for classes/credits when applying.
Glint wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:21 pm LM, so B will be 13 when he starts secondary?
Yes, they start secondary at 13/14. It's old! They really are ready by that point and are given a lot of responsibilities. Then they have 4 years of high school. R is moving up after the summer.

The other weird thing is that they have to do a certain number of volunteer hours over the course of their high school career, in order to graduate. R plans to get started and volunteer as a camp supervisor over the summer.
Glint

Post by Glint »

I like the idea of volunteer hours, and also being a few years older starting secondary.

I remember the terror of going from a single teacher, single classroom to moving about different rooms, teachers and remembering everything.
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Gosh, that’s come round quickly, Glint! J won’t start high school until Jan 2024 so our process will be next calendar year. We don’t have to apply for schools either - if you live in catchment, you’re in for State schools. It’s the last day of term here today before summer holidays :weewee:
Estrella

Post by Estrella »

Interestingly S will technically be in high school before him. She’s been accepted into a STEM excellence program from next year (Yr4) and will do her science and maths learning at high school on Tuesdays.
Glint

Post by Glint »

Well done to S!

A memory came up today on FB and it was S starting nursery, it has certainly come round so fast.
Little My

Post by Little My »

That sounds pretty cool, Est. Good for S!
Glint

Post by Glint »

And he had his first visit up to the college today :mog:

He seemed to like it, especially the 3 gym halls, and says he’s not particularly nervous about it, and they might be back in February
Kleio

Post by Kleio »

Help! This week we’re starting the process to see if Betty has ADHD. She has suspected for about 6 months and I’ve been thinking about it for a while longer too.

Initially, when I raised it with her she didn’t want to seek out a diagnosis. She was worried dickhead would use it against her if she stopped seeing him again. However, she asked me yesterday if we could start looking for a diagnosis so she’s prepared for her GCSEs.

“It runs in family’s too Mum so perhaps you should get yourself checked out” :lg:

What do I do? GP? School? See if the therapist can help?