Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Princess Morripov

Re: Tiny Turtle Hatchlings

Post by Princess Morripov »

:lol:

Sorry, I was just going off my experience, as I was disappointed he wanted to do it at that point and would happily have waited a few months :lazy:
smalex

Post by smalex »

In all seriousness I do think you sometimes have to get a bit firmer with them, eventually anyway. Not all kids show an interest so I think its worth looking for some key skills as much as the magical interest. People act like they'll be permanently incontinent if you don't take a very softly softly approach at all times but if everything is there then some kids just need to realise This Is Happening

I felt really guilty about him not being trained and then about the manner in which we cracked it for ages but I just don't care now
smalex

Post by smalex »

That sounds like i chained him to a potty and lashed him. I obviously didn't :mog:
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

J showed no signs either and we did it at 2 and 9 months. It took 6 days, which were pretty awful but after that he was dry day and night with no accidents, so he must have been physically ready.

My youngest was easy in comparison. He just sat on the potty and weed. They are very different personalities and my youngest always seems to breeze through transitions where J definitely did not. So it's not necessarily a terrible experience.
cluefree

Post by cluefree »

I think it’s totally just down to the individual child. They’re all different and so there’s no point comparing. Pete was easy to potty train, but I waited until she was interested in doing it. She did it the same way she did everything, when she was ready and not a minute before. I think she was trained by two, but it took fucking FOREVER to get rid of night time nappies because she was so worried about wetting the bed. It’s super recently that we got rid of those and she’s just turned 4. I did just tell her it was happening with those because she would have happily stayed in them until she was an adult. She was fine.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

So if you have one of those beautiful toilet contraptions you don't need a potty? Or do you do both?

I'm interested to know what you actually did, Smal. I have a feeling that at least one of mine will need a bit of firm guidance.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
smalex

Post by smalex »

Well, we introduced the potty way back when in about 1974 and he steadfastly ignored it or actively refused to sit on it. We intermittently kept trying, also looked out for the signs and for him showing an interest but he didn't give us much to work with :lol:. Eventually at 3y 2m I thought we better just try anyway. Obviously by then he had reasonable verbal skills etc. In the first week it became evident he had excellent control because he'd reluctantly sit on the potty, not go, then we'd give up and he'd walk around the corner and immediately piss all over the floor :ruby:. He also took himself away if he was pooing in his nappy (or pants) so he knew what he was doing and wanted privacy for it.
Anyway, after about a week of this I lost it a bit, I knew he needed a wee so I manhandled him onto the potty and instructed him to stay there. He cried, I cried. He tried to get off loads of times, I very firmly told him to stay on it :look: and after about 40minutes he cracked, took a piss on the potty. We praised him like he was the 2nd coming, stickers, etc etc. The next time was similar but lasted about 10 minutes, then 5 minutes. After which he just voluntarily used the potty. Couple of timing accidents but otherwise quite easy after that. Within about 2 weeks he'd use an adult toilet with assistance if we were out and used one of those rings on the loo at home.

All kids are different, my nephew is a different kettle of reluctant, but my point is a lot of kids don't show much in the way of signs and sometimes being a bit firmer can be the way to crack it.
Rhodonite

Post by Rhodonite »

Yes, they are definitely all different. Leaving J in wet pants and trousers made no difference at all. I don't think he even registered he was wet. What seemed to work (or was just a coincidence) was leaving him with no pants or trousers. The same day he'd wet his trousers, I took them off, and the next time he needed the toilet, he took himself off to the bathroom!

I didn't use a potty at all for J, Ken. We went straight to the toilet, but I think I'm very much in the minority with that.

(also I said in my last post J was 3, that was when we started training. I think it took around 6 weeks for him to get it!)
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Oh this is bringing it all back.

I did a search on here and me, Smal, Squirrel, ruby are all on there at some point. It has me potty training both TBL and Z so it's quite long.

Irs called Potty training help if anyone wants a read.
smalex

Post by smalex »

By contrast some kids basically trained themselves. My friends kid was begging to use the loo and pushed her nappies off at 2.5. The little keener :verm:
Princess Morripov

We started with a normal potty. Then got this hideously annoying thing which he absolutely loved :mog: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07Q4DVGW2/ ... -FbQ9PZ5TG but it was handy in that the insert lifts off and fits into a normal loo. Then we just got one of those ladders so he could just go himself. We just leave that in the loo downstairs so he can put it there and move it into position if he needs it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PZ5T864/ ... UTF8&psc=1
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Ismee wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am Oh this is bringing it all back.

I did a search on here and me, Smal, Squirrel, ruby are all on there at some point. It has me potty training both TBL and Z so it's quite long.
I did that search too. :lol: Honestly it nearly killed me. Both of my children were 100% happy about just pissing themselves with abandon.
Ismee

Post by Ismee »

Luce

Post by Luce »

smalex wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:38 am By contrast some kids basically trained themselves. My friends kid was begging to use the loo and pushed her nappies off at 2.5. The little keener :verm:
I had one of these! Oh my god, I thought these kids were just legend but nope. Theo trained himself in what felt like hours but was probably a day or two. We just kind of watched on, stunned.

F, meanwhile :lg: I also gave up waiting for him to show signs so I made the decision one day (after he was 3) that we were starting because I was so done with nappies. I absolutely had to go down the route of telling him this is what’s happening from now on. He had zero interest.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Ruby wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:17 am
Ismee wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:34 am Oh this is bringing it all back.

I did that search too. :lol: Honestly it nearly killed me. Both of my children were 100% happy about just pissing themselves with abandon.

Thanks, Smal. It's good to know that even if they're stubborn/not interested it can be done and not take ages.

Oh, also, is it worth teaching a boy to wee standing up? I was thinking I wouldn't let Tim know that was an option until he was much older as otherwise he'll just piss all over the bathroom floor for years?
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I can imagine both mine absolutely loving that musical potty. Probably just to play with rather than wee in though. :lol:
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

It’s handy for them to know. Inside, sit - outside, stand.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

Kenickie wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:39 am I was thinking I wouldn't let Tim know that was an option until he was much older as otherwise he'll just piss all over the bathroom floor for years?
This has always been my approach. J is 8 and still likes to sit. I need to actually encourage him to try standing as he'll need to be able to soon! S is 4 and likes to do it standing but makes a mess and we've had to get him to start sitting again.
Princess Morripov

Stand up wees made everything so much easier IMO, Tupac doesn’t make a mess but he is quite tall so suspect that helps?
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

S is messy in life! He eats like an animal as well :lol:

Standing up wees are definitely useful for weeing in the wild when needs must.