On Your Bookshelf

purple_dress

Re: On Your Bookshelf

Post by purple_dress »

It's so good, isn't it?

I finished The Queen of Hearts, which was a good story of friendship and betrayal. I'm now reading Three Women which is very well written and engaging but also very sad.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I found Three Women incredibly sad and a touch too voyeuristic.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I stopped reading it when I was still on the free sample because of the voyeuristic feel, so I'm glad it's not just me.

Dic, I took a bit of a break after Crawdads too :cry:.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I listened to a podcast with the author and it does sound like she went to great pains to tell their stories from their perspectives. I see what you mean though.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

The Cazalet chronicles are just beautiful. I read one of them when I was quite young and there's a line which has stuck with me ever since: "At night she slept holding her own hand, pretending it was his." Elizabeth Jane Howard's other books are v good too, especially Odd Girl Out and Falling. Randomly, I found out I know her nephew and he lent me a book of her ghost stories; unfortunately that wasn't as good as her novels.

I am awash with Tana French at the moment; I just finished The Likeness and jumped straight into The Secret Place. Her language is just so *lush*.

I felt a bit uncomfortable after Three Women too. It was a bit too raw for me.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Commencement (J. Courtney Sullivan) was really good. It tells the stories of four girls who meet at a women’s college (Smith) in the late 90s. It’s a little like Prep in a way.
Elya

Post by Elya »

Thanks for your post, Ella, there are lots of things on it that I haven’t read, including the cazelets.

I’m finally reading Heartburn by Nora Ephron and loving it. I had a lovely browse in Foyle’s yesterday but only bought that and the new Erin Morgenstern book.
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

I'm reading Samantha's Irby's book of essays: We Are Never Meeting in Real Life.

I am truly loving it, and have already ordered her most recent book.
Malan
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I really wasn't keen on Wow, No Thank You. I'll be interested to hear what you think. I did find a lot of it quite interesting but she really made me cringe too much at her total lack of boundaries.

I finished Three Women and I wouldn't say I enjoyed it but I thought it was amazing. I found it very moving.
Penny Century

Post by Penny Century »

Elya wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:51 pm I’m finally reading Heartburn by Nora Ephron and loving it.
Thank you for the reminder, I've been meaning to read this for a while!
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

I've read a couple of Kate Eberlen books recently which are very good for non taxing but not inane reads.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I had burned through a couple of crime thrillers
Mark Billingham - Their Little Secret
Gytha Lodge - She lies in wait
Both good reads of their genre
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I had to read a succession of paint by numbers crime books after Crawdads, for recovery space. :)) It's going to finish Digs off if she reads it this year. :look:

Has anyone read Mary Beard's SPQR? Is is easy enough to read? I quite fancy it but I like my popular, accessible non-fiction to be popular and accessible. I mean, I'm not thick, but I am NOT GOOD with academic language. I only found out last week that hegemony is pronounced with a hard g.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:54 am Has anyone read Mary Beard's SPQR? Is is easy enough to read? I quite fancy it but I like my popular, accessible non-fiction to be popular and accessible. I mean, I'm not thick, but I am NOT GOOD with academic language. I only found out last week that hegemony is pronounced with a hard g.
I have! I found it relatively accessible in the way that all her writing is, but to be honest, I thought it was a bit long and quite dull. I really enjoyed her Women and Power manifesto though, and she published a book of short essays a few years ago that I thought was really interesting and very accessible.

ETA: the essay collection is called Confronting the Classics.
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:54 am I only found out last week that hegemony is pronounced with a hard g.
I only found out now :mog: So many words that I've only ever read and not heard aloud.
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I still don't think I'm confident enough to say it, either. :))

Thanks, Flora. Not quite the fun canter through things Roman I was hoping for, then. I've read Women and Power, I will probably try the essays instead.
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

Smunder Woman wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:53 am
Bat Macdui wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:54 am I only found out last week that hegemony is pronounced with a hard g.
I only found out now :mog: So many words that I've only ever read and not heard aloud.
I heard somewhere if you pronounce words wrong it shows you are an avid reader. :look:

I am on Amanda Craig: The Lie of the Land. Not my usual thing, but I'm enjoying it.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Marth
Location: London - but not by the sea. Nowhere near it in fact.

Post by Marth »

In my head I've always pronounced it hedge e moany.

SO WRONG
Malan
Smunder Woman
Consciously Unbellended

Post by Smunder Woman »

That's exactly how I said it in my head too.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I've learnt something!