Vaccine (Good) News

Epponnee Rae

Re: Vaccine (Good) News

Post by Epponnee Rae »

Agree with Derek (nice sourcing), especially as someone who took J&J (which is now being paused in the US for similar clotting AEs reasons to AZ, though so far incidence sounds even lower), and I’m not the least bit worried.

All vaccines are 100% effective at preventing hospitalizations and deaths. Also the J&J one was tested in a population that had more variants circulating, which Pfizer and Moderna didn’t, and their endpoints were also defined slightly differently, so it’s not exactly apples to apples. The best vaccine is the one you get!
Leap
Glitz 'n' Glam

Post by Leap »

Ella77 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:36 pm Something about how AZ is made with attenuated virus (like the flu jab, I assume), whereas Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines which are said to be more effective (?), but it's all hearsay at my level, isn't it?

ANYWAY, I'll take anything I'm offered and be very grateful for it. We don't even have to pay!
Yes, I agree with exactly this. Today my dad told me today that my stepmum (semi-retired GP) has said that when it comes to my turn I “should only” take one of the mRNA vaccines and not AZ. She’s said the same specifically for me and her pregnant daughter, and she means that’s what we should choose rather than meaning what will be available then, so I’m not sure how she pictures that happening :lol:

Regardless, I nodded along but will happily take whatever is offered to me and be delighted about it. I’m not sure if it’s some post-pregnancy or women only factor she believes she’s uncovered (she didn’t pass on the same advice for C) but I’m unwilling to ask and go down that rabbit hole. Funnily enough, she absolutely crowed about getting the AZ over the others back when she and my dad had their first jabs, so it’s something of a love/hate relationship she seems to be having with it.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

That's interesting, Leap. And so true - it's not like you turn up and are offered a selection to choose from. ;)

Is there any info about the vaccines and long Covid? That's what I'm more worried about now, tbh- I had ME in my 20s and it was horrendous, so I'm quite concerned about going back to feeling like that.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 am That's interesting, Leap. And so true - it's not like you turn up and are offered a selection to choose from. ;)
A vaccine menu with tasting notes, guided by a vaccine sommelier.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Kenickie wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:03 am That's interesting, Leap. And so true - it's not like you turn up and are offered a selection to choose from. ;)

Is there any info about the vaccines and long Covid? That's what I'm more worried about now, tbh- I had ME in my 20s and it was horrendous, so I'm quite concerned about going back to feeling like that.
There's some anecdotes about the vaccine resolving post covid symptoms in people who previously had covid, rather than the virus causing post covid symptoms.
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

I am so jealous of you all getting vaccinated. It still seems like a long way off for us.
nineseven

Post by nineseven »

That's great, Baa. A close friend had Covid in October and is still having breathing issues. She hasn't been vaccinated yet as she's under 40 but fingers crossed.
Kenickie
Kenneth Attenborough

Post by Kenickie »

Thanks Baa, that's great to hear.
If your back's against the wall, turn around and write on it.
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

Our post covid assessment team are starting to monitor this unexpected side effect to see if it pans out a bit more! It did happen to the respiratory nurse's SIL (she went from massive fatigue/breathlessness and unable to work, to complete remission of symptoms!) They were hypothesising that this might mean that some post covid symptoms are a result of lingering inflammation, rather than structural damage. But it's all a bit new for now, so it'll be interesting to see how it pans out.
Mountain Goat

Post by Mountain Goat »

I also read this and to add to anecdote, suffered from long covid until Mr G got covid, at which point I was ill for about a week (testing negative) and after that bout of pretty weird illness that I suspect was an immune response, got almost totally better, ie could work full time/normally. Quite possibly all coincidental, who will ever know, but it somehow cleared up most of my long covid.
Protected by the ejaculation of serpents
baargain
The Baarometer of Style

Post by baargain »

That was handy, goat! Yes, I wonder if the immune system bump does something to resolve symptoms.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Squirrel wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:29 pm I’ve been jabbed!

I’m in the waiting area now waiting to be released. I’ve never been happier to be in the conference centre of a faceless hotel with a nasty carpet :love2:.

It was Moderna which I’m slightly surprised about as I’d read somewhere it was AZ being given here but I think that information is out of date.

Illegal carpet photo.
I am your Moderna twin now. :frolic: There was no conference-centre carpet but a kind of huntastic grey laminate.
Rebel Pebble

Post by Rebel Pebble »

Yay Ruby!

I am also jabbed! Got in and out early. Small site so no queue and really fast.

Astra zeneca for me. To be fair I didn't really think a weeny pharmacy in Guildford would be one of the 21 sites they sent moderna to. :mrgreen:
Pootle
Topaz Titanium

Post by Pootle »

It's fantastic to see so many getting jabbed (and I hope yours comes quickly, Zoom) and how many places are being used. My brother got jabbed in a Topp's Tiles :))
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

Woohoo, guys! My husband has just had Moderna. It's the first day they've offered it in Guys so apparently it took much longer than usual and there had to be two people monitoring each injection, etc.

Topp's Tiles :)).
Disco

Post by Disco »

Woo-hoo to everyone getting their vaccines.

I want the Moderna. I suspect I will get it.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

Topps Tiles! :lol:

This is all very good news.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Mine was at a regional vaccine centre and honestly, it was huge. There were so many people there and loads of chatty stewards. I was ridiculously excited about the whole thing. :mog:

There was a massive queue for second vaccinations, AZ, and a much smaller queue for the 45-50s, who were all getting Moderna.

I should say that the queues very very fast moving and the whole thing was really well organised.
Disco

Post by Disco »

I'm having it done in a big hub but I've done a bit of googling and I don't think it will be Moderna so I'll probably have AZ tomorrow.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

I thought mine might be Moderna because the test site was on the (regional) news last night. Apparently there are 20 sites that have it at the moment. I wouldn't have been arsed either way, tbh, but I quite fancied it for the novelty. :lol: I don't think the government have bought enough Moderna to vaccinate everyone under 30 with it though.