Book Notes

Lola

Re: Book Notes

Post by Lola »

Lola wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 12:35 pm I’m now reading a book called Impossible by Sarah Lotz and it has a very unexpected plot twist :))
Finished this & it was another “ok” book :))

I’m now reading Rachel’s Holiday & like it so far. I’ve never got on with Marian Keyes books before so I never read this when it was released the first time.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

I’m reading Ariadne by Jennifer Saint right now. It’s good, but putdownable.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I'm making my way through The Maid this week, and enjoying it so far.
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I liked that (The Paper Palace), and I was talking to my MIL when she mentioned how she’d heard you never regret a swim, and it turned out she really liked it too :)).
Lily
Picker-Lily

Post by Lily »

I tried the new Ali Smith, Companion Piece, but I am ashamed to say I couldn't finish it. It was really bizarre: like she put all the stuff which had gone on in the last couple of years into a pudding, half-mixed it and then left it on the counter in the bowl as she couldn't be arsed. I then read A Terrible Kindness about an embalmer in Aberfan which was very, very well done (I think someone else has read this?) and I am now on Narrow Door by Joanne Harris. She does seem to have a bit of a thing about posh schools.
"You first have to find out who you are. Then you have to be it like mad."

My blog, if you are bored
Bat Macdui

Post by Bat Macdui »

I trudged to the end of Tom Cox, and do not recommend, unless you are really up yourself about music and like stream of consciousness shit with no paragraph breaks. :look:

I'm reading Susie Steiner's Manon Bradshaw detective series, which is good in terms of crime content but the main character emotes a bit too much for me. Though I suppose still an improvement on darkly depressed introspective lonely male policemen with a booze problem.
Turtle Bean

Post by Turtle Bean »

On a slightly less high brow note I am working my way through the Bridgerton series. They are all awful but mildly entertaining and suit my concentration levels.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

I finished the Hunting Party, it was pretty similar to the other book of hers that I've read. It was still enjoyable but I don't think I'd bother with any more.

Not sure what to read next, maybe How To Kill Your Family? Has anyone else read that?
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

I think Pip has.

I’m reading Anxious People by the same author as A Man Called Ove and I’m really enjoying it.
Flora Poste

Post by Flora Poste »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:02 pm
Not sure what to read next, maybe How To Kill Your Family? Has anyone else read that?
I have - it was fine but not great. Some bits were really good, but it took me ages to get into.
sally maclennane

Post by sally maclennane »

Thanks Flo!
Christ on a bendy bus son, don't be such a fucking faff arse
Ella77

Post by Ella77 »

I gave up on How To Kill Your Family, but I wanted to like it.
Pippedydeadeye
Directory Pipquiries

Post by Pippedydeadeye »

It was ok and I’ll tell you more of my thoughts at the ending once you’ve read it.
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

I just finished - Asking for a Friend by Andi Osho - a rom com that was not very good, all 3 girls (women as they were all 30 plus, not girls please) let down in the past by a man of some sort (father, lover, etc) needing to get over it to love again. I did not enjoy it
Cerise

Post by Cerise »

Annabella wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:55 am I just finished - Asking for a Friend by Andi Osho - a rom com that was not very good, all 3 girls (women as they were all 30 plus, not girls please) let down in the past by a man of some sort (father, lover, etc) needing to get over it to love again. I did not enjoy it
Oh that was AWFUL! :mog:
Annabella

Post by Annabella »

It was, I must have thought it was something else when I bought it - or it was free on kindle :)
lazzbo

Post by lazzbo »

I'm reading The House with the Golden Door, the second in the Wolf Den trilogy, and I'm loving it. :)
olive
Really Creepy

Post by olive »

sally maclennane wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:02 pm Not sure what to read next, maybe How To Kill Your Family? Has anyone else read that?
I wasn’t too fussed by that either.
purple_dress

Post by purple_dress »

I just finished Sorrow and Bliss and really liked it.
Little My

Post by Little My »

I finished The Maid, and it was decent. In my head the main character (Molly) seemed like something from an old children's book, like Corduroy, though.

I've started on Rachel, Again. I thought it would immediately feel like a comfy read, but I'm struggling to get into it.